Sharon Giles SWA SWS is a visual artist and art webmaster located in (and native to) North Texas. She is a former medical librarian and online researcher.
She is currently the webmaster (along with Nancy Friedel) of Art News DFW, a major visual arts resource for the North Texas area. The website is devoted to news of art events hosted by nonprofit visual art groups in the North Texas area plus news about local artists. Find out about exhibits, meetings, art instruction, art festivals, and opportunities for artists. You can also subscribe to daily or weekly email newsletters for free.
Sharon is also the longtime webmaster for the Irving Art Association and provides web tech support for the Society of Watercolor Artists in Fort Worth. For three years she was also the webmaster for the Southwestern Watercolor Society in Dallas.
It’s hard to pin her down about her favorite art medium — she likes to try them all: collage, all forms of watermedia, marbling, and printmaking (monoprints). She even dabbles in encaustics (wax painting), oils and pastel upon occasion.
In 2011 and 2012 Sharon demonstrated the Japanese art of marbling on paper called Suminagashi for local art societies plus taught several workshops on the fascinating technique. In September she taught a mini-workshop on using watercolor on Yupo (plastic paper) for Articrafters in Arlington. In November she 2012 demo’ed acrylic collage for the Texas Area Artists in Mesquite.
In 2013 she is working with local artists and crafters in the Irving Artists & Crafters Group in teaching how to use the Gelli Arts Plate in acrylic printmaking. In Nov. she will demo Suminagashi again for the Mid Cities Fine Artists.
- June 2013: Third in the Art in the Round category at the 2013 Trinity Arts Guild Open Show for acrylic monotype/watermedia painting “Morning Tide”
- May 2013: First in Watermedia at the Irving Art Association 2013 Juried Members Show for watermedia “Green Mansions”
- Sept. 2012: Awarded Signature Status with the Southwestern Watercolor Society
- Sept. 2012: First in Watermedia / Mixed Media at the 4th Pet Art Show for the watercolor on Yupo “Guard Duty”
- Apr. 2012: First in Graphics, Pastels, 3D at the Trinity Arts Guild Members Juried Show for the monoprint “Kittens, Watchful”
- Jan. 2012: Awarded Signature Status with the Society of Watercolor Artists
- Sept. 2011: Second Place in Watermedia, 3rd Pet Art Show for the watercolor on Yupo “Ice Cream Hounds, Belize”
- Apr. 2011: Honorable Mention in Mixed Media at the 26th Texas & Neighbors Regional Exhibit for the acrylic collage “Miz Scarlett”
- June 2009: Second in Watermedia, Trinity Arts Guild Open Juried Show for the watercolor “Elephant Embrace”
- May 2009: Special Award, Irving Art Association Members Juried Show for the watercolor on Yupo “One White Rose”